The foundation of natural treatments relies on a healthy diet – food really is medicine.
Naturopathic Doctors are trained in clinical nutrition and are able to recommend specific dietary interventions based on clinical research, and also personal preferences.
After a thorough intake form is completed your practitioner will discuss with you:
– your health goals
– any food allergies and preferences
– review any current health issues that may require specific dietary interventions including IBS, diabetes etc.
– you’ll learn how digestion works, how to keep your blood sugar balanced and how your gut microbiome affects all aspects of your health
– review your current food intake and make suggestions to optimize your daily intake
– discuss lifestyle changes to support a healthy and balanced lifestyle including optimizing sleep and managing stress
A thorough nutrition intake form and one hour intital nutrition consultation provides the information needed for your practitioner to build a personalized nutrition protocol suited to your needs and preferences.
Nutrition optimization plans are given to ensure adequate daily intake amounts of vitamins, minerals and other important macronutrients and micronutrients are consumed.
Meal plan ideas, specific foods and amounts may be given to have a therapeutic effect.
Therapeutic diets (such as the low FODMAP, or a gluten free diet) may be recommended and guidance is given to patients on how to integrate these diets into their lifestyle.
As the great Hippocrates said “Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food”.